One of the most notable developments in the Science and technology sector has been the setting up of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) through the Act of Parliament, viz. the Science & Engineering Research Board Act, 2008. Promoting basic research in Science and Engineering and providing financial assistance to persons engaged in such research, academic institutions, research and development laboratories, industrial concerns, and other agencies for such research and matters connected therewith or incidental thereto are the primary and distinctive mandates of the Board. Submissions under SERB SUPRA 2023 can only be made against the call for proposals, with a public announcement through the SERB online portal and social media.
SERB SUPRA 2023
SERB has developed a scheme SERB-SUPRA (Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement) that seeks to explore new scientific breakthroughs, with long-term impact on our fundamental scientific understanding, and offer disruptive technologies at the cutting edge. SERB-SUPRA is a scheme beyond normal core research grants and purposefully designed for high-quality proposals consisting of new hypotheses or challenging existing ones and providing ‘out-of-box’ solutions. Transformative and disruptive research concepts based on innovative and unproven hypotheses, possessing a high degree of uncertainty, yet having the conviction to produce a lasting impact across discipline boundaries qualify for support under SERB-SUPRA. It is envisaged that innovative SUPRA proposals will bring out breakthrough solutions in identified areas.
Highlights of SERB SUPRA 2023
|Name of the Scholarship||SERB SUPRA 2023|
|Launched By||Science and Engineering Research Board|
|Delegated Ministry||Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology|
|Allocated Portal||SERB Online Portal|
|Objective||To provide financial assistance who are engaged in academic research|
|Benefit||Fellows will get research support|
|Applicable to||Citizens of India|
|Mode of transfer||DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer)|
|Payment Mechanism||e-payment mechanism|
|Form of Benefit||Fellowship Amount|
|Covered Allowances||Research, Contingency, Travelling and Overhead Grants|
|Host Site||NIC (National Informatics Center)|
|Mode of Application||Online|
Objectives of SERB SUPRA
The objectives of the SERB SUPRA are as follows:
- The scheme is purposefully designed for high-quality proposals consisting of new hypotheses or challenging existing ones and providing ‘out-of-box’ solutions.
- Selected candidates will receive research support and other benefits.
Benefits of SERB SUPRA
- The research grant is provided for equipment, research personnel, consumables, travel, and contingency.
- ‘Overheads’ is also provided to the implementing institution as per prevailing norms of SERB.
- Funding will be provided normally for a period of three years, which could be extended to 2 years (5 years in total) subject to performance evaluation.
- The scheme provides research support to an individual researcher or a group of researchers working in a recognized academic institution national laboratory or other recognized R&D institutions in India.
- Applicants should be Indian Citizens. Foreign nationals (including OCI and NRI) are also eligible to apply, provided they fulfill the eligibility criteria notified by SERB.
- Applicants should hold a Ph.D. degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering or M.D./M.S./M.D.S./M.V.Sc. degree at the time of applying for a grant
- Should hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized institution or national laboratory or any other recognized R&D institution in India with at least 5 years of service remaining.
- The selection is based on the recommendations of the Program Advisory Committee (PAC) constituted by the Board. If required, the applicants may called for discussion/presentation.
- A single submission of the full SUPRA proposal will be subjected to a two-phase evaluation process.
- First phase: Initial screening will be based on assessment of extended synopsis as described in the application format and research track record of the Principal Investigator, as judged by his/her CV. Only those proposals which proceed through the first phase will be sent out for external review.
- Second phase: The full scientific proposal should meet the core mandate and features of SUPRA and it will be closely judged on these lines in the second step of the assessment process.
- Any proposal technically rejected should not be resubmitted without any substantial revision to any schemes or programs of the SERB.
- The Call for applications will be notified through the website “www.serbonline.in” and “www.serb.gov.in”. The application form along with a proper research proposal highlighting the research work to be undertaken should be submitted online through the website “www.serbonline.in”.
- Plagiarism undertaking
- Certificate from Principal Investigator
- Endorsement Letter from the Head of Institution
- Project Title (max 500 characters)
- Project Summary (max 300 characters), Keywords (max 6)
- Objectives of the Project (max 1500 characters)
- Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters)
- Budget (Manpower, Consumables, Travel Equipment, Contingency, Overheads)
Application Procedure of SERB SUPRA
- Applicants should first register through the Official Website. If you are already registered you can log in using your user ID.
- After successful registration, the user will be sent a confirmation mail on the registered email ID. Users must click on the URL provided in the mail to confirm registration.
- After logging in, the applicant(s) are required to fill in all the mandatory fields in the Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photos, Institute Address, etc.
- Navigate to ‘How to apply online’ and click on ‘click here to register’.
- Fill in the required details to Register. (Note – If the applicant is already registered, kindly log in using valid credentials)
- After successful registration, fill in all the mandatory fields in the Profile Details Section under ‘User Profile‘ which includes Bio-data (as per the defined template), Photo, Institute Address, etc., and submit.
- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
- 3rd & 4th Floor, Block II, Technology Bhavan
- New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi-110016
- 011-26552197, 26552179