Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship is one of the popular scholarships to study in USA. Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are awarded by United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF). It is a one of the popular and prestigious scholarships given to international Ph.D. students studying at an Indian institution. Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Fellowship is provided for six to nine months. The fellowship is beneficial for US Student Visa support for J-1 candidates. International students pursuing education in the fields of Mathematics, Neuroscience, etc. are eligible for this fellowship. International aspirants must be affiliated to a host university in USA for getting Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships. PhD candidates can also get a monthly stipend of variable amount with Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships. This article presents detailed information about the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship 2023 covering its objectives, eligibility criteria, benefits, important documents and step-by-step application procedures for online submission.
Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are part of the Fulbright Program, a scheme established in 1946 to improve study links and mutual understanding between the USA and the rest of the world. It’s now one of the biggest international exchange program in the world, with organizations in over 150 different countries. The Indian branch of the Fulbright Program is administered by the United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF). They offer a number of scholarships for Indian postgraduates (including the Fulbright-Nehru Masters Fellowship). This page focuses on the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship, named after Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first prime minister. You should indicate three universities in the USA that you would like to undertake research at (in order of preference). If you’ve already received a letter of invitation from an institution (or if you’ve been in contact with a staff member), you should include this in your application too.
Highlights of Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
|Name of the Scholarship||Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship 2023|
|Offered By||United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF)|
|Scholarship Level||Awarded to International PhD Candidates|
|Scholarship Type||Merit-based and Need-based|
|Eligibility||International PhD students pursuing education form an Indian Institution|
|Benefits||J-1 student visa support, monthly stipend and other benefits|
|Application Process||Completing USIEF application online and uploading documents in PDF format|
Objectives of Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
- Here are some of the objectives under the fellowship programme:
- To improve study links and mutual understanding between the USA and the rest of the world.
- To provide number of scholarships for Indian postgraduates (including the Fulbright-Nehru Masters Fellowship).
- These are designed for Indian Scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian Institution.
Study Areas for Research Fellowship
International students with the below-mentioned study areas are eligible to apply for Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science
- Earth Science
- Energy Studies
- Educational Policy and Planning
- Literature and Language
- Material Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Performing Arts
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Public Policy
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Women’s and Gender studies
- Visual Arts
Benefits of Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
The benefits of this fellowship include the following categories:
- J-1 Visa Support
- A monthly stipend
- Accident and sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government Guidelines
- Round-Trip economy class air travel
- Applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees
- Selected scholars will also have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in U.S.
- Students can check the below-mentioned eligibility requirements for Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships:
- Candidates must be a responsible Indian citizen and can make contribution to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of India.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent academic performance.
- Candidates must have a good and stable health condition.
- Students must have done research in adequate fields and registered in any Indian institution on or prior to the month of November.
- Candidates must mention doctoral degree registration date and topic, and must have a recommendation letter from a PhD supervisor.
- The fellowship grant required students to submit and conduct research related thesis after three months later Fulbright-Nehru grant ending date.
- Employed applicants must abide by the employment agreement.
- PhD candidates must upload a copy of an original published or presented thesis paper from the Masters/M.Phil. in online application form within 20 pages.
- The fellowship is applicable for pre doctoral students only.
- Residential Certificate
- Research Proposal
- Academic Transcript
- Passport Copy
- English Language Proficiency Test Score (GRE and TOEFL)
- Summary Report consisting of 5000 words
- Progress Report
- Latest Passport Size Photograph
- Admission’s Proof
- Bank Account Details
- Photo Id Proof
Application Procedure under Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
- Visit the Official Website
- On homepage click on Fulbright Fellowships
- Click on Fellowship for Indian Citizens, a drop down menu will appear
- You will find Fulbright-Nehru Fellowship, click on it, again a drop down menu appears then you have to click on Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
- Scroll down the page and find the section How to Apply
- Click on the relevant link mentioned under the section How to Apply
- United States-India Educational Foundation
- 12 Hailey Road
- New Delhi 110 001