In India, Scheduled Castes (SCs) are considered to be one of the most marginalized communities, with a history of social, economic and political oppression. To address this issue, the Government of India has initiated various program and schemes to uplift the status of SCs in Society which includes National Fellowship for SC 2023. The National Fellowship for SC students is a scheme that provides financial assistance to SC students who wish to pursue higher education. The aim of the fellowship program is to encourage SC students to pursue higher education and research and to provide them the opportunities to enhance their employability. The scheme is open to the candidates who belongs to the Scheduled Caste and are pursuing higher studies such as regular and full time M.Phil. And Ph.D. Degrees in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology.
National Fellowship for SC 2023
The National Fellowship (NF) Scheme for Scheduled Caste is formulated and funded by Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment. There are 2,000 slots for Scheduled Caste every year for all the subjects. 3% fellowships are reserved for Persons with Disabilities candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste categories as per provision laid down by the Government of India. National Fellowship Scheme for Scheduled Caste Students is a Central Sector Scheme introduced during the financial year 2005-06 to provide opportunities to Scheduled Castes students for pursuing higher education leading to M.Phil. Or Ph.D. degrees in Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences streams. National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) has been declared as Central Nodal Agency (CNA) w.e.f. 01.10.2022 for implementing the scheme (earlier implemented by UGC) and is responsible for laying down procedures guidelines for implementing the scheme, including selection of beneficiaries and disbursement of fellowships to selected candidates.
Details of National Fellowship for SC 2023
|Name of the Scholarship||National Fellowship for SC 2023|
|Known As||National Fellowship for Scheduled Caste Students|
|Launched By||Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment|
|Delegated Ministry||Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment|
|Allocated Portal||UGC Portal|
|Objective||To encourage SC students to pursue higher education and research and to provide them the opportunities to enhance their employability|
|Benefit||Students will be able to carry out their higher studies|
|Applicable To||Citizens of India|
|Beneficiary Category||SC Students|
|Beneficiary Types||Ph.D. & M.Phil. Degrees|
|Eligible Degrees||Ph.D. & M.Phil. Degrees|
|Offered Fields||Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology|
|Mode of Transfer||DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer)|
|Payment Mechanism||e-payment mechanism|
|Form of Benefit||Fellowship Amount|
|Fellowship Transferal||Yearly Basis|
|Fellowship Amount||JRF = Rs. 25,000/- SRF = Rs. 28,000/-|
|Fellowship Duration||5 Years|
|Covered Allowances||Fellowship, Contingency and Escort Reader Allowance|
|Hosting Site||National Informatics Center (NIC)|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Office Address||University Grants Commission, Bahadur Shah, Zafar Marg, New Delhi – 110002|
Objective of National Fellowship for SC 2023
- The objective of the scheme is to provide five year fellowships in the form of financial assistance to students from SC categories, as notified by the Central Government to pursue higher studies such as M.Phil. and Ph.D. at Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges as indicated below:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid form UGC.
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central/State Government.
- Institute of National Importance
Benefits of National Fellowship for SC 2023
|Fellowship in Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences||@Rs. 25,000/- p.m. for initial two years @Rs. 28,000/- p.m. for remaining tenure||JRF SRF|
|Contingency A||@Rs. 10,000/- p.a. for initial two years @Rs. 20,500/- p.a. for remaining tenure||Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Contingency B||@Rs. 12,000/- p.a. for initial two years @Rs. 25,000/- p.a. for remaining tenure||Sciences and Engineering & Technology|
|Escort/Reader assistance||@Rs. 2,000/- p.m. in case of Physically handicapped and blind candidates||All Subjects|
|HRA||As per rules of the University/Institutions||All Subjects|
- Candidates must be a citizen of India
- Applicants must be a Scheduled Caste Student
- Should have passed the Post Graduate Examination
- Applicants must be registered for Ph.D. or M.Phil. Degree in the proposed fields of Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology.
- Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the Fellowship programme, the reservation shall be followed as per government of India norms.
- Curriculum Vitae
- DOB Certificate
- Educational Certificates
- D Work Summary
- Concept Proposal
- NET/SET Certificate
- Reserved Category Certificate if the student belongs to any one reserved caste
- Student’s Identity Card
- Admission Fee Receipt
- Last Year’s Mark Sheet
- Bank Passbook Photocopy
- Income Certificate
- As soon as we will get the update on the date of commencement of application form we will update you soon.
National Fellowship for SC 2023 Application Procedure
- Visit the Official Website of the Fellowship
- Homepage will appear on your screen
- Go to National Fellowship for SC option
- You will find Apply Online option click on it
- Enter the details in the application form
- Upload the relevant documents
- Finally Submit the form
- University Grants Commission, Bahadur Shah, Zafar Marg, New Delhi – 110002